In our previous blog, we explored some of the best off-road trails in the UAE for beginners and experts. However, it’s always worth going through some basic rules for off-roading near Dubai and Sharjah. So, today, we are listing something you can refer to as a code of conduct in the desert, along with some of the basics you should know before you take your 4WD vehicle for a spin.
What You Need To Have For Safe Off-Roading In The UAE
Before we start listing the actual rules you should follow when off-roading, let’s list some things you’ll need to have for a safe experience off the beaten path.
If you are a beginner, you must have the following:
- A decent off-road car that has a four-wheel drive (4WD) – some of the best cars for off-road adventures in the UAE are Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Pajero, Land Rover Discovery, Land Rover Defender, Dodge Ram, Mercedes-Benz G-Class, Nissan Armada, Ford F-150 Raptor, etc.
- A set of good tyres suitable for the desert – you can always shop off-road tyres at our website.
- A full tank of petrol (your car will use much more fuel when you are off-roading).
- A properly working cooling system so that your car doesn’t overheat.
- Basic equipment such as an air compressor, deflating device, spare tyre, tow rope, and shackle.
- A first-aid kit.
- A mobile phone with car charger.
- Lastly, we recommend going with at least one other car or experienced driver, just in case you need an extra pull when stuck.
Off-Road Code Of Conduct & Ethics
- Obey the laws and regulations for Recreational Vehicles that apply to public lands.
- Respect the cultural, heritage, and environmental values of public/private land by obeying restrictions that may apply.
- Respect our flora and fauna. Stop and look, but never disturb.
- Keep to formed vehicle tracks.
- Keep the environment clean. Carry your own, and any other, rubbish out.
- Keep your vehicle mechanically sound and clean to reduce the environmental impact.
- Adopt minimal impact camping and driving practices.
- Seek permission before driving on private land. Do not disturb livestock and leave gates as you found them.
- Take adequate water, food, fuel, basic spares, and a first aid kit on trips. In remote areas, travel with another vehicle or more experienced passengers.
- Plan ahead and organize trip details with a responsible person.
- Enjoy your recreation and respect the rights of others.
- Support four-wheel drive touring as a legitimate family activity.
- Consider joining an affiliated four-wheel drive club. We will be listing the best clubs to join in some of our next guides.
Additional Resources For UAE Off-Road Enthusiasts
If you have never tried off-roading and want to enjoy a safe yet exciting adventure, you should know that the adrenaline rush is real. And if you want some professional guidance during your off-road adventure in the UAE, it is best to take some introductory course from a reputable institute. You can also consider going with someone more experienced as a passenger, before deciding to drive your vehicle to the desert.
If owning a 4WD is a costly investment to you, there are always options to rent a 4WD for off-roading. When in Dubai, you can rent a sturdy 4x4 vehicle and take it to the desert – some of the most common places are the same car rentals that offer motorbikes and quads.